DOUBLE U. TEE. EFF.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOUBLE U. TEE. EFF.

Ok, so maybe I'm a little behind the times and yeah, the only titles I read are GL and GLC (the rest of the 'New 52' can go to Hell). But am I correct in saying that there is gonna be ANOTHER Earth based GL? Apparently there's some banal story taking a dump over in JLA?

So its bad enough we've had to endure the presence of the usurper, Kyle for the last 20 years. Staggering, that the painfully redundant John Stewart still gets panel space and just plain insulting that Simon Baz even exists, but ANOTHER Earth GL? Really? Hasn't Hal's rightful claim to being GREEN LANTERN been dragged through the mud enough?

I don't think its being nostalgic to claim that the early 80s really were the Golden Age for Hal and GL. The GL books have become bloated and maddening to read. I really hoped the new creatives would undo much of the damage Johns had done in recent years. But it seems the opposite is true.

Can we lobby DC to create an alternate continuity? DC Classic Universe maybe? I'd eat that up.
    A.A.F.A.D.

"Damn that Sorcerer! 20 gold pieces and I'm wankered on Rohypnol!"

Technically it's going to be Power Ring's successor but she's going to become a regular character and maybe even a good girl.

Comment

Yeah, some damn female. (Tongue firmly in cheek.)

DC Classic Universe. Hmm. Hold that thought.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Continuing the thought above. Perhaps my favorite issues of GL in the last few years were the "DC Retroactive" titles that came out just before the New 52 struck. The GL titles in that series each featured a reprint of a classic story, with a newly-cast story in the same issue from the same basic timeframe. The 70's story was vintage GL-GA Hard Traveling Heroes era-ish. GL Jordan also showed up in the JLA adventure of the 70's, briefly.

I also think about the Flash-Green Lantern The Brave And The Bold six-issue miniseries scripted by Mark Waid. DC Universe Legacies was a good wrap-up of the old paradigm. I'm enjoying Injustice: Gods Among Us incredibly, and it's old paradigm/alternate universe too.

Each of these was a tale with setting "in the cracks" between elements of existing past continuities. They were delightful, and they worked. What's to keep a writer (preferably a skilled one) from telling some Untold Tales? (I do it all the time in my fan fictions.)

Oh, to see GL pair off with Dr Light, or the old Black Hand, or Major Disaster, or Hector Hammond, or Sonar, or even Sinestro, the one-and-only holder of a ring other than green. It wasn't just a slug fest. It was matching wits. It was pseudo-science. It was the plausible impossible. And it was fun. And, generally, it was all within one issue. If you've been re-reading the reprints in GL:Sector 2814, the Bloch stories dragged on forever, but each was a self-contained short story...at least until the Crisis.

I can tolerate Kyle, too, in his own context.
        Evergreen City
        Corps Den Mother
        Last edited by Evergreen City; 02-18-2014, 07:27 AM.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Just what the DC universe needs...yet ANOTHER human Green Lantern.

They can start her off as the legacy of whatever passes for Earth 3's Power Ring this week, but we all know Johns won't be able to resist the urge to put another stamp on the GL history by changing her to an actual GL eventually.

So we'll have to watch the fight for a bit of spotlight/panel space between Alan, Hal, Guy, John, Kyle, Simon, and...Jessica. That's just awesome.

Comment

At least Sector 2814 will have plenty of protection!

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
              Only if one of the Earth Lanterns is named Trojan Man.
              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                There are SEVEN of the motherfuckers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                  There are SEVEN of the motherfuckers!!!!
                  Preach on, brother. Preach on.
                  A.A.F.A.D.

"Damn that Sorcerer! 20 gold pieces and I'm wankered on Rohypnol!"

Comment

Fuckin' hell.

TBH, a female GL isn't a bad idea, just a shame there's too many to begin with. Baz has done fuck all since John's leaving, he's just failed his chance to win over anyone. They should really kill him off.

Being technical though guys, there would only be six Lanterns for sector 2814; Alan Scott isn't included as he's in an alternative universe. So that would be six if the new GL joins and only five if Baz dies as a result. Think positive.
                    Originally posted by IonFan
                    (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                    Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                    If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                    Originally posted by Quaker
                    I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                      Just what the DC universe needs...yet ANOTHER human Green Lantern...
                      I don't know. The prophecy/recap thing from GL 20 never said she'd be a Green Lantern.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                        Fuckin' hell.

TBH, a female GL isn't a bad idea, just a shame there's too many to begin with. Baz has done fuck all since John's leaving, he's just failed his chance to win over anyone. They should really kill him off.

Being technical though guys, there would only be six Lanterns for sector 2814; Alan Scott isn't included as he's in an alternative universe. So that would be six if the new GL joins and only five if Baz dies as a result. Think positive.
                        And Guy and Kyle aren't actually Green Lanterns now (he took off the green ring), so right now we "only" have Hal, John, and Baz for earth GLs and of those only one is allowed to operate on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          I don't know. The prophecy/recap thing from GL 20 never said she'd be a Green Lantern.
                          Oh, he'll make her one. He can't help himself. It'll be "part of her journey" or character arc. That old bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by KILLER-CLONE View Post
                            Preach on, brother. Preach on.
                            Hell, they could try the GL team book again. But now they wouldn't need any aliens to fill out the ranks. Just straight out humans

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              And Guy and Kyle aren't actually Green Lanterns now (he took off the green ring), so right now we "only" have Hal, John, and Baz for earth GLs and of those only one is allowed to operate on earth.
                              Oh yes of course, I completely forgot about that! Although Kyle is still working for the GLC, just as a White Lantern so one could argue that there are four; Hal, John, Baz and Kyle. But yeah, I'd prefer to think that it's just the three of them now. I for one have really enjoyed Red Lanterns since Guy became in charge, I hope this is permanent, Red Lanterns has never been this good! Funny how before Johnn's leaving Red Lanterns was my least favourite title and now it's my favourite. Mind you there's been a sacrifice, I can no longer bare GLC, John's too weak a character to sustain his own book. He just doesn't seem to have any character anymore.

What does Baz even do BTW? Is he still in JLA?
                              Originally posted by IonFan
                              (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                              Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                              If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                              Originally posted by Quaker
                              I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Working...
                              X