The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Lantern Vol. 2 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   First appearance of Mogo in 1963, in GL #24? (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154)

Andrew NDB 07-04-2007 08:30 AM

First appearance of Mogo in 1963, in GL #24?

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/mogo.jpg

Most people seem to regard Alan Moore's "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" in #188 in 1985 as the first appearance of Mogo... but I think it could very well have actually been a great deal earlier. All the way back to 1963 and #24. Passing through a system and being beckoned down by a planet that identifies itself as "Green Lantern," then after a bit of trouble communicating convinces Hal to put out/kill the alien fire creature within it theat threatens to destroy the world. He does so and Hal departs, friends with the planet now.

Not unreasonable to conjecture that after Hal parted on good terms, this planet -- Mogo -- was made a member of the Corps and such.

GLJIMT 07-04-2007 03:53 PM

Seems to have all the characteristics of Mogo, ability to change its land or its flora. Im sure it was at least the basis for Mogo.

raynersraider 07-04-2007 04:11 PM

On an unrelated note, Hal must have double-jointed knees in the one panel where he's flying by... :D

AlanLadd 07-05-2007 01:46 AM

Not only probable but damn likely!

5-ball 07-05-2007 03:59 AM

I remember reading this issue in the Archive edition I have and thinking the same thing. It's gotta be the inspiration for one of the greatest GL characters ever created.

Andrew NDB 07-05-2007 04:03 AM

Well, if it's not Mogo, somewhere out there is a planet just like Mogo. Lonely.

Someone should play matchmaker if it's not.

GLJIMT 07-05-2007 04:19 AM

What if Bzzzzd found this female planet that isnt Mogo and proceeded to hook Mogo up. I would love to see two sentient planets "DOING IT" in a comic then perhaps have a baby planet pop out !

Andrew NDB 07-05-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLJIMT (Post 1396)
What if Bzzzzd found this female planet that isnt Mogo and proceeded to hook Mogo up. I would love to see two sentient planets "DOING IT" in a comic then perhaps have a baby planet pop out !

:eek:

GLJIMT 07-05-2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1418)
:eek:

It would be one of the best comic panels in history :D

Lightninbug 07-05-2007 07:47 PM

That's sick!

raynersraider 07-06-2007 02:50 AM

Quote:

You've put some thought into this, haven't you? :D

GLJIMT 07-06-2007 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raynersraider (Post 1512)
You've put some thought into this, haven't you? :D

You know you would love it ;)

DrakeGrayson 07-11-2007 09:03 PM

Not Going there....

raynersraider 07-12-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLJIMT (Post 1516)

You're probably right.... :D

ComicGeek 09-23-2007 09:58 PM

Oh whoa, that really could be Mogo! If not then it should be

Though if thats Mogo and hes guiding rings to the Lanterns forever how was he JUST THEN joining the Corps in the 1960s?

genesistorm 09-23-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLJIMT (Post 1447)
It would be one of the best comic panels in history :D

Absolutely..

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLJIMT (Post 1516)

Only a very sick person wouldn't!!;)

genesistorm 09-23-2007 11:11 PM

Seriously though, I agree with all of you guys, if that's not Mogo, at least Alan Moore must've read that story and use it as inspiration..
It's very likely that's Mogo, though!

Satyrquaze 09-24-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

:spritz:

The tectonic stresses alone of such an act would... to say nothing of the two such masses being in such close proximity could possibly end all life on both planets. But then again it might be worth it to see if Maybe in the next DC/Marvel crossover Ego the Living Planet could show up and they could have a threesome, provided of course that THAT planet isn't actually Mogo.

genesistorm 09-24-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satyrquaze (Post 11786)
But then again it might be worth it to see if Maybe in the next DC/Marvel crossover Ego the Living Planet could show up and they could have a threesome

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
There are some sentences only us comics geek can come up with.
Luckily, of course!:D

Lord Malvolio 09-24-2007 04:59 PM

This HAS to be Mogo! Just how many Sentient planets do we have wandering around the cosmos???? I would love to see his origin on how he became a GL and his responibilties....

genesistorm 09-24-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Malvolio (Post 11805)
I would love to see his origin on how he became a GL and his responibilties....

I second that!

Satyrquaze 09-24-2007 05:10 PM

In all sincerity, I'd love for it to be Mogo... but the thought of a ancient being such as Mogo existing for as long as it has in a universe full of strange wonders and the GLC which has existed basically since the beginning of recorded time being discovered and inducted into the GLC by any of the recent human GLs doesn't sit right with me.

It's a big universe, does Hal have to be responsible for everything?

I'm more inclined to think that Mogo just isn't that unique.

Mister Ed 09-24-2007 06:35 PM

Ever since I read that story in the Archive, I've pretty much assumed it was Mogo. I've been waiting for some writer to cleverly tie those together in some subtle manner. Unfortunately, I doubt they will do it now. Mogo's importance to the Corps is being played up so heavily that I expect we are now to believe that he was one of the EARLIEST GLs. If he was the one in that story, he would have been a GL for less time than Hal, which would make all the panic about, "What will we do if we lose Mogo!" sort of nonsensical. I mean, if he WERE that recent of an addition, the answer would be a simple, "Whatever you did for millions of years before he joined! Duh." ;)

Andrew NDB 09-24-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 11824)
If he was the one in that story, he would have been a GL for less time than Hal, which would make all the panic about, "What will we do if we lose Mogo!" sort of nonsensical. I mean, if he WERE that recent of an addition, the answer would be a simple, "Whatever you did for millions of years before he joined! Duh." ;)

Unless Mogo being the ring-guider is a post-New Corps thing (when the Guardians were resurrected and needed to quickly rebuild the Corps), whereas he was the planet who "doesn't socialize" before Emerald Twilight (and this issue from the 60s actually indicates why that would be).

Mister Ed 09-24-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 11826)
Unless Mogo being the ring-guider is a post-New Corps thing (when the Guardians were resurrected and needed to quickly rebuild the Corps), whereas he was the planet who "doesn't socialize" before Emerald Twilight (and this issue from the 60s actually indicates why that would be).

But the question would still remain, why all the panic. If he didn't fill this function until recently, and they lost him, wouldn't they just go back to whatever means they used for the millions of years prior to him filling that function? I think the emphasis they are putting on Mogo at this point kind of implies that he is THE method used to guide rings to their new bearers, and therefore he has been doing it for more than a couple years. Otherwise, why not fall back on whatever the old method was if they lost him? Why all the ruckus about how they simply CAN'T lose Mogo or the Corps will be doomed?