The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Comics (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Locke & Key (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19098)

Hypo 07-20-2011 07:55 AM

Locke & Key

Quote:

Locke : Key: Clockworks #1 (of 6)
Joe Hill (w) • Gabriel Rodriguez (a & c)
Colonel Adam Crais's minutemen are literally trapped between a rock and a hard place; in the first days of the Revolutionary War, they find themselves hiding beneath 120 feet of New England stone, with a full regiment of redcoats waiting for them in the daylight... and a door into hell in the cavern below. The black door is open, and it's up to a 16-year-old smith named Ben Locke to find a way to close it. The biggest mysteries of the Locke & Key series are resolved as Clockworks opens, not with a bang, but with the thunderous crash of English cannons.
FC • $3.99 • 32 Pages
Only 12 issues of Locke & Key left!
'Clockworks' is the beginning of the end for 'Locke & Key'

So anyone else been reading this? I think it's one of the best supernatural/horror comics on the market right now (after all what else would you expect from the son of Stephen King?) and if you have any interest in the genre at all I recommend picking it up.

Dr. Naysay 03-09-2013 08:39 PM

Just binge read every available issue.... so bummed I missed out on it until right before it's all wrapped up.

So good.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-09-2013 09:50 PM

It's an interesting setting for a horror comic. Is this a followup miniseries?

Hypo 03-09-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 769624)
It's an interesting setting for a horror comic. Is this a followup miniseries?

Naysay bumped a thread I made two years ago lol. The series consists of 6 6 issue miniseries:

1) Welcome to Lovecraft
2) Head Games
3) Crown of Shadows
4) Keys to the Kingdom
5) Clockworks
6) Omega

Plus a few one shots. Omega is the final miniseries and is currently on issue 3. Highly recommend.

Dr. Naysay 03-09-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 769625)
Naysay bumped a thread I made two years ago lol. The series consists of 6 6 issue miniseries:

1) Welcome to Lovecraft
2) Head Games
3) Crown of Shadows
4) Keys to the Kingdom
5) Clockworks
6) Omega

Plus a few one shots. Omega is the final miniseries and is currently on issue 3. Highly recommend.

Hell yea I did cus I just got around to reading them all (well up to Omega #3).

IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD!

And then I found out it's being adapted into a Film Trilogy.

HELL YEA!

Hypo 03-10-2013 12:54 AM

It is a great series, it's a shame that more people aren't reading it.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-10-2013 03:11 AM

Are the 5 out of 6 miniseries available in trades?

Hypo 03-10-2013 04:15 AM

Yessir they are. Buy 'em!

Dr. Naysay 03-10-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 769668)
It is a great series, it's a shame that more people aren't reading it.

I'm assuming you have but...
Have you seen the trailer for the FOX Pilot that never got picked up????

It's so good! IT makes me hate Fox so much more than I already do!

Dr. Naysay 03-10-2013 07:56 PM

Oh and I also just learned that the author is Steven King's kid!

Hypo 03-10-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay (Post 769727)
I'm assuming you have but...
Have you seen the trailer for the FOX Pilot that never got picked up????

It's so good! IT makes me hate Fox so much more than I already do!

I have indeed, I was pretty disappointed when it wasn't picked up. :(

Dr. Naysay 03-10-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 769734)
I have indeed, I was pretty disappointed when it wasn't picked up. :(

The only reason I'm a little glad it's bein optioned as a trilogy is casting.

You can't have a show about a story like this where one of your main characters is a little kid. The story only covers about a year but in the amount of time it would take to tell that story that kid will age 3 or 4 years. If not more.

So maybe if it's a film trilogy it's less of a problem? Or maybe it never gets made... :(

Dr. Naysay 03-12-2013 08:29 AM

I don't feel like being done with this.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-12-2013 03:44 PM

That good? Do I want to read the trades in order if I find them?

Dr. Naysay 03-12-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 770013)
That good? Do I want to read the trades in order if I find them?

Oh man... if you read them out of order they would make zero sense.

I mean you'd probably be able to figure it all out but.... hooo....

yea read em in order.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-13-2013 10:57 PM

I just spent a hundred bucks on this stuff, so if I don't love it I'm gonna strangle all of you. I bought the hardcover versions; I always go with hardcover over TPB if I have a choice. They look great and everybody at the comic shop was raving about them. I'll let you know when I've got through the first miniseries.

Dr. Naysay 03-14-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 770225)
I just spent a hundred bucks on this stuff, so if I don't love it I'm gonna strangle all of you. I bought the hardcover versions; I always go with hardcover over TPB if I have a choice. They look great and everybody at the comic shop was raving about them. I'll let you know when I've got through the first miniseries.

If you don't love it I'm gonna strangle YOU!

But jeez man.... get a library card or something...

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-14-2013 02:50 AM

I used to blow a lot more money on my comic habit. Buys like this make up for all the money DC isn't getting from me with their shitty nU 52.

Hypo 03-14-2013 03:47 AM

I expect a review when you finish the first trade.

Dr. Naysay 03-14-2013 08:15 AM

Yea fucking read it already. It shouldn't take this long.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-14-2013 05:31 PM

I just finished Welcome To Lovecraft. Goddamn that was good! The story played like a movie and sucked me right in. Loved the whole story of the house, the keys, the mystery, etc. I liked how it was like coming into a story that had been going on for some time and this was the latest chapter of it, even if most of the characters didn't know it. Similar to A Song Of Ice And Fire and Star Wars that way, and a storytelling technique I have a soft spot for.

When I picked them up, they had 1-4 in softcover, and 1, 3-5 in hardcover. I elected to go with hardcover, and now have to wait two weeks until the store gets in the vol 2 hardcover they ordered for me yesterday. Fuck! I don't WANT to wait!

The art was really nice, and very consistent. The plot and dialogue were wonderful. I liked how all the different characters had their own story and got time devoted to them, and each of the three Locke kids got an issue to spotlight them. I'm hoping some of the later hardcovers I bought delve into the past to tell Rendell's story, and the kids and family from his time.

Certainly better than anything I'm reading from DC in the last few years. Things like this and Saga (which I recently read) just make me despise DC all the more. If I'm going to continue with the comic hobby (and not walk away from it entirely in disgust), then I'm going to need to find other indy books like this to enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I really did enjoy it/am enjoying it. Money well spent.

Dr. Naysay 03-15-2013 08:27 AM

It just gets better. Everything you're hoping for is delivered and more.

Hypo 03-15-2013 09:09 PM

Naysay is right, looking back the first trade was kinda tamed compared to the stuff to come.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-16-2013 12:05 AM

I couldn't wait the two weeks for my hardcover of volume 2 to come in. I went in and bought a softcover of volume 2 just to read it, which I'll do tonight. I'll be replacing it soon enough with the nicer hardcover.

Hypo 03-17-2013 04:57 PM

Good man. More people should be reading this.