The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sector 0 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hal joins the Green Lanterns cast in September (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24790)

Trey Strain 06-18-2018 09:23 PM

Hal joins the Green Lanterns cast in September
 
Yes, as I predicted, Hal is moving over into Green Lanterns with Baz and Cruz. I expect him to stay there until the title drops off the charts.

Guy and Kyle are gone -- for now. But I think things might improve quite a bit for them when Grant Morrison arrives.

I'm sticking with my earlier prediction that he'll write a comic that stars Guy and Kyle. That looks even more likely now.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../18/dcsept.htm

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-18-2018 10:01 PM

Wait--what's the news here? We knew DC was ending HJ&TGLC. We knew Hal was moving over to GLs and Dan Jurgens is writing it for now. Is there something new I'm missing?

Trey Strain 06-18-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 954657)
Wait--what's the news here? We knew DC was ending HJ&TGLC. We knew Hal was moving over to GLs and Dan Jurgens is writing it for now. Is there something new I'm missing?

We didn't know that Morrison's GL title wasn't launching in September, or that Hal was moving over into Green Lanterns instead of into a comic written by Morrison.

All the speculation at Bleeding Cool kept mentioning Hal in the same breath with Morrison, but I've never believed that. Morrison isn't a fan of Hal, and on top of that, DC is hell-bent to make Green Lanterns sell. They are NOT planning to cancel that comic, so Hal is in it for keeps, to help sell it.

Jurgens is not a caretaker, and Hal is not a short-timer.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-18-2018 10:40 PM

But we saw Hal in the solicits previously for GLs. We already knew he was filling in there when they announced the other title was ending at #50. Why does that mean to you that Morrison isn't using Hal when his project is ready to go? All we know is DC is keeping one GL title going in lame duck status until Morrison's relaunch is ready. Tossing Hal over there for a few months doesn't surprise me at all.

Trey Strain 06-18-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 954659)
But we saw Hal in the solicits previously for GLs. We already knew he was filling in there when they announced the other title was ending at #50. Why does that mean to you that Morrison isn't using Hal when his project is ready to go? All we know is DC is keeping one GL title going in lame duck status until Morrison's relaunch is ready. Tossing Hal over there for a few months doesn't surprise me at all.

Dave, Dave, Dave...

WHY do you think DC is canceling Green Lanterns? They have NOT given up on Baz and Cruz. Cruz is on Odyssey, and in that DC Kids thing. They're here to stay.

And WHY do you think Morrison wants to write "creepy old Hal Jordan," instead of a character he's known to like, Kyle?

"Chosen" 06-18-2018 11:53 PM

Just because the title isn't launching in September doesn't mean it's not happening. Hal appeared in GLs before it was announced his title was ending. The storyline was foreshadowed a few months ago when Hal showed up in the GLs annual. And if you read the preview to Justice League #2 you'd know that the story about Hal and the source wall are true. They probably want to give the writer and artist a good headstart before announcing anything.

Trey Strain 06-18-2018 11:58 PM

I think the only way Morrison will write Hal is if he writes a book with Guy and Kyle in it, and also writes Green Lanterns. That's possible. But I bet Hal is staying in Green Lanterns.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-19-2018 01:35 AM

I guess we'll see in a few months. You could be right. You could be wrong. I wouldn't put money on anything DC might do right now. That company is a dumpster fire.

"Chosen" 06-19-2018 02:21 AM

https://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploa.../JUSTL_2_5.jpg

"Chosen" 06-19-2018 02:22 AM

"Hal is dealing with the wall."

You're wrong Trey. The Hal series is happening.

Michael Heide 06-19-2018 09:21 AM

Guy would be a great fit for the Justice Foundation. If that is still a thing after Doomsday Clock.

Trey Strain 06-19-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Chosen" (Post 954671)
"Hal is dealing with the wall."

You're wrong Trey. The Hal series is happening.

He's got one. With Baz and Cruz.

Face reality. They are JUST... NOT... GOING... AWAY.

Trey Strain 06-19-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Heide (Post 954673)
Guy would be a great fit for the Justice Foundation. If that is still a thing after Doomsday Clock.

One more B team of the Justice League, guaranteed to flop. No thanks.

The best thing about Cruz right now is that she's on yet another Justice League B team, Odyssey.

"Chosen" 06-19-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trey Strain (Post 954674)
He's got one. With Baz and Cruz.

Face reality. They are JUST... NOT... GOING... AWAY.

You're hopeless

Trey Strain 06-19-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Chosen" (Post 954676)
You're hopeless

I have no hope that Baz and Cruz are going away, and I don't know why I should have any. Like herpes, they are for keeps.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-19-2018 01:31 PM

I can see DC keeping Jessica around because they have started to insert her into other mediums. And she is a woman which is a big thing these days. Baz I am not so sure. His hook is he is a muslim and the sjws that want that kind of diversity aren't typically willing to shell out money to support the things they clamor for. As Johns moves on nobody but him is going to keep Baz around.

At some point an editor is going to look around and say "hey, we have 8 human Green Lanterns (Alan, Hal, Guy, John, Jade, Kyle, Simon and Jessica). We have too many dulluting the franchise." They are going to do something about it and Geoff Johns won't be in a position to stop them anymore as he gets shuffled around on his way out the door.

Jade and Alan belong to rhe JSA world and would likely be out of a GL editor's control. And if/when Jade returns, she is likely to go back to just being Jade anyway.

I think Baz will go away and there is a good chance Jessica will stay. They will revamp her to get rid of her mental illness so that feminazis won't complain she is a stereotype for all women being crazy. At which point we can get ready for the casting calls of Jennifer Lopez in a GL movie.

And then they will kill off every male GL because they only need a minority woman.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-19-2018 01:40 PM

Oh wait. That's Marvel I'm thinking of. Maybe not.

Michael Heide 06-19-2018 06:42 PM

JLo is too old though

Star-Lantern 06-20-2018 05:32 AM

I would say Guy and Kyle are the characters fans need to worry about... and Simon, if anyone cares. Unless Green Lantern Corps relaunches, those characters are likely going into limbo for a period. Everything points to the Grant Morrison title being a Hal Jordan book. Green Lanterns will likely eventually be canceled. Note: THIS DOES NOT MEAN SIMON BAZ AND JESSICA CRUZ WILL BE DESTROYED. I mean, they may eventually, but their comic getting cancelled doesn't mean they will disappear. Jessica will be in Justice League Odyssey.

But, yeah, eventually when someone actually attempts to do something substantial with Green Lantern again, and examines why they think the franchise doesn't sell well, they will probably start whacking some of these characters, or de-powering them to sweep them away and focus on whatever they feel is important. Unless Jessica builds up a substantial fanbase from being on that cartoon (I doubt she will, and that cartoon may not even last), then she is a candidate, and Simon will most definitely go if it comes to that. Johns isn't really in a position to protect them or put them in stuff anymore.

Trey Strain 06-20-2018 06:04 AM

Kyle and Guy are the ones I'm worried the least about, because they're not saddled with Baz and Cruz and because Morrison is known to be a Kyle supporter. I don't think he'll try to give Kyle a solo comic. I think he'll see the value of including Guy in it.

John being an Ultraviolet Lantern sounds asinine, but that can be easily undone.

Star-Lantern 06-20-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trey Strain (Post 954694)
Kyle and Guy are the ones I'm worried the least about, because they're not saddled with Baz and Cruz and because Morrison is known to be a Kyle supporter.

That was 20 years ago and an entirely different status quo. Morrison just worked within the status quo at the time.

I don't know the man, but my impression is that Grant Morrison really doesn't care all that much about who is Green Lantern like some of these fans do. I don't believe he has a hard on for any of these characters in particular and is open to tell stories with whatever he is given. Kyle happened to be Green Lantern at the time (20 years ago), so he used him and made the most of it.

Michael Heide 06-20-2018 07:25 PM

And don't forget that when he returned to the team with JLA Classified #1-3, he had the chance to pick a different GL and went with John.

JohnMc 06-21-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star-Lantern (Post 954693)
I would say Guy and Kyle are the characters fans need to worry about...

They are the expendable ones it seems. Guy atleast has the Warrior stuff to fall back on if they decide to de ring him. Kyle is in a tougher spot because all he has ever been is a GL [Suped up or otherwise]

Trey Strain 06-25-2018 09:12 AM

Lavish praise used to get heaped on Baz and Cruz at CBR. Especially on Cruz. She even had an appreciation thread that someone would bump every few days. "The sky is the limit for her!" people would cry. But now, only crickets are discussing Baz and Cruz over there.

That's because their so-called fans never imagined that Hal would get saddled with them. They thought Baz and Cruz would have their own comic and would appear in Justice League forever and ever. Hey, they were Geoff Johns characters, so they must have been a great idea, right?

Be of good cheer. What's happening in Green Lanterns has an upside.

Star-Lantern 06-25-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trey Strain (Post 954765)
Lavish praise used to get heaped on Baz and Cruz at CBR. Especially on Cruz. She even had an appreciation thread that someone would bump every few days. "The sky is the limit for her!" people would cry. But now, only crickets are discussing Baz and Cruz over there.

That's because their so-called fans never imagined that Hal would get saddled with them. They thought Baz and Cruz would have their own comic and would appear in Justice League forever and ever. Hey, they were Geoff Johns characters, so they must have been a great idea, right?

Be of good cheer. What's happening in Green Lanterns has an upside.

I don't believe lavish praise was ever heaped on Simon Baz. As for Jessica, I'm not sure if her fans thought she would be in the Justice League forever, but they were enjoying it while it lasted, and they seemed to recognize she currently has a higher profile than other Lanterns like--again--Kyle and Guy... and Arisia, beating her out for primary female Lantern.

However, now that Geoff Johns isn't in a position to coddle her, I don't know if her star will rise. It's entirely up to whether creators want to use her. I will admit that it is looking good for her, seeing as she in Justice League Odyssey. I guess Joshua Williamson organically wanted her on his team. Only time will tell if Jessica has any staying power. I don't think Baz will. Totally useless character, in my opinion.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.