X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Beautiful (1944)
    bMI9dd5UlAm2oxcALuRFqMPNoysrzR_large.jpg

“One can’t improve productivity without improving one’s character.”
    —Kurosawa’s second film and most strictly wartime propaganda. Documentarylike story of a women’s group that assembles optics for Japanese war machines.

Cocaine Bear (2023)
    filters:quality(70).jpg

“Your dad has definitely done cocaine.”
    —Very fun. On Peacock now.

Comment

• /\ That was a funny one. R.I.P. Ray Liotta

Comment

• The Lure (2015)
        79f5ebfe-1cba-4311-a32a-b5cdcb58d405-e599c368.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&h=720&q=75&w=1280.jpg

“You're so beautiful, and you have a great fish tail.”
        —Polish dark(horror?)-comedy musical about mermaids. Weird, but pretty good.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 05-16-2023, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Lake Placid (1999)

Jack Wells: "Ma'am..."
          Kelly Scott: "Look, if you call me "ma'am" one more time I'll sue you for sexual harrassment, and with today's laws, it's possible." Sheriff Hank Keough: "She's good."

And of course everything Betty White said is a quote unto itself. God Bless.

This movie is almost a "feel good" type of thing for me in terms of the banter, comedy, and eventual romance. The main cast work that well together. I remember this coming out within months of Anaconda, and while the latter's effects were meh, I thought the cgi in this one were great, aided by Stan Winston's animatronics. The one thing both movies had in common were the notions that when you thought a scary scene was going to happen, it didn't, only to be surprised later by a scary scene you didn't see coming. I.e. in the end, who thought there were 2 crocodiles?

Definitely recommend this one for a number of reasons, but most of all, it's just a great time.

Comment

• Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
            mwo,x1000,ipad_2_snap-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
            “As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit.”
            —25th anniversary.

The Day of the Jackal (1973)
            Day_of_the_Jackal_1973_Poster.jpg

“It’s possible. The point is getting away with it. And speaking as a professional, that’s a very important consideration.”
            —50th anniversary. Still tense even knowing how it ends.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            Lake Placid (1999)

Jack Wells: "Ma'am..."
            Kelly Scott: "Look, if you call me "ma'am" one more time I'll sue you for sexual harrassment, and with today's laws, it's possible." Sheriff Hank Keough: "She's good."

And of course everything Betty White said is a quote unto itself. God Bless.

This movie is almost a "feel good" type of thing for me in terms of the banter, comedy, and eventual romance. The main cast work that well together. I remember this coming out within months of Anaconda, and while the latter's effects were meh, I thought the cgi in this one were great, aided by Stan Winston's animatronics. The one thing both movies had in common were the notions that when you thought a scary scene was going to happen, it didn't, only to be surprised later by a scary scene you didn't see coming. I.e. in the end, who thought there were 2 crocodiles?

Definitely recommend this one for a number of reasons, but most of all, it's just a great time.

Yeah, I like both. I find boat trips (like Creature from the Black Lagoon too) and camping movies (even in a horror setting) somehow comforting. Not sure why considering I've only done either activity sporadically and neither in years. I think it's the adventure aspect and having a home away from home.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 05-19-2023, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Guardians of the galaxy 3._. Christ that was depressing but a nice end to the trilogy
              .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Jesus Music (2021)
                KOTSJesusMusicMovie-Featured-1080x1080-1.jpg?fit=764%2C764&ssl=1.jpg
                “Guy turned on his tape recorder and I think his opening statement was like ‘you're deceitful, you’re awful, you’re a liar, you’re horrible’ and before I could even say anything, Amy looked at him and said ‘oh, I’m so much worse than you think I am, but by the grace of God I get up every day.’”
                —Despite being a Christian and into rock music, I’ve never been into Contemporary Christian Music, but this documentary (which I had heard of both from a secular and church source) was still interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  Yeah, I like both. I find boat trips (like Creature from the Black Lagoon too) and camping movies (even in a horror setting) somehow comforting. Not sure why considering I've only done either activity sporadically and neither in years. I think it's the adventure aspect and having a home away from home.
                  Honest to God, I am 100% serious when I say this: After every conceivable idea I've seen on film of what could be in the ocean, I wouldn't step on anything less than a fully armed Destroyer-type-of-ship to get me into the ocean. I really mean that. Any type of pleasure craft or fishing barge is a NOPE. I'm keeping my feet planted on land, thank you very much.

As far as camping goes, I would require my sleeping quarters to bear the likeness of a legit prison with working plumbing, electricity, and many, many guns. I think that could be achieved on the inside of an unassuming large log cabin. Walls made of titanium backed by a foot of concrete. Zero tolerance policy for anything the size of an ant or larger getting through without my say-so. Of course, my friends would be invited. If they really wanted to brave the outdoors, I would have 3 armed ninjas per person keeping an eye on them at all times.

Comment

• Godzilla (1998)
                    Godzilla-header-pic.jpg?ssl=1.jpg
                    "You call this coffee?
                    -I call this America."
                    —25th anniversary. No, I'm not a fan, but it's alright if I just consider it a giant lizard movie. Still too long, but has good bits.

Honest to God, I am 100% serious when I say this: After every conceivable idea I've seen on film of what could be in the ocean, I wouldn't step on anything less than a fully armed Destroyer-type-of-ship to get me into the ocean. I really mean that. Any type of pleasure craft or fishing barge is a NOPE. I'm keeping my feet planted on land, thank you very much.

As far as camping goes, I would require my sleeping quarters to bear the likeness of a legit prison with working plumbing, electricity, and many, many guns. I think that could be achieved on the inside of an unassuming large log cabin. Walls made of titanium backed by a foot of concrete. Zero tolerance policy for anything the size of an ant or larger getting through without my say-so. Of course, my friends would be invited. If they really wanted to brave the outdoors, I would have 3 armed ninjas per person keeping an eye on them at all times.
                    I'm pretty close to that. I'm very much an indoors person. But maybe that's the fun of these movies--vicarious experiences. I haven't actually camped since I was a preteen. And my boat trips have all been either sightseeing ones around bays or my father's old fishing boat on a lake.

Comment

• Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Deadly Prey (1987/2016)
                        DeadlyPrey_Poster.jpg

“Stop lubing your food!”

It Stains the Sands Red (2016)
                        f4936b696f06d7f43a84eb7d9fe525ab32003198a8e2d04b8cc4403264c5b9ac._RI_TTW_.jpg
                        “Desert, it is. One foot after another.”
                        —Decent movie with an even better premise—during the zombie apocalypse a lady is stuck in the dessert with no weapons and one slow, but relentless zombie after her.

Comment

• Mortuary (2006)

For a lower budget film, this was pretty good. One of Tobe Hooper's last films, it's about a family that moves into an old abandoned mortuary where Mom Denise Crosby thinks she can make a living by fixing the place up for her 2 kids. Instead we find this weird fungus that appears at the drop of blood, a bunch of now-zombie people affected by said fungus, a Mongoloid kid not unlike Jason, and some kind of pit where a creature resides for sacrifices. If it wasn't going in 50 directions at once, it would have flowed much better than it did. You the viewer have to keep your eye on everything that's going on. Miss a minute and you're lost.

3 main things I didn't like about the film: 1, Mom had never actually been a mortician; she only went to school for it, and figured she could immediately handle things on her own. Her clumsiness detracted from the story. The entire movie had led me to believe she had some actual experience in the field. 2. The little girl's screams hit that certain frequency in my brain that makes it painful to hear, and there's quite a lot of screaming from the girl going on. You just want to ducktape her mouth 2 or 3 times. 3. I did not like the last 20 or so seconds of an otherwise decent movie (my nitpicking aside). It was just wrong. In my humble opinion, the ending should have shown more sympathy and empathy for what certain people had just been through, and all they had already lost.

I was hoping there was a sequel to this that kind of un-did the last 20 seconds, but no dice. And throughout the entire movie, there was a very strong Lovecraftian vibe going on (the name of the story is on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite remember it right now) that should have been acknowledged but wasn't.

I do recommend this movie for any horror fan, but keep your expectations mediocre. Where it excels in some places, it equally detracts in others.

Comment

• Three the Hard Way (1974)
                            s-l500.jpg
                            “You think I’m gonna jive now?”

—R.I.P. Jim Brown.

Mortuary (2006)

For a lower budget film, this was pretty good. One of Tobe Hooper's last films . . .
                            Hack the Movies reviewed this. I haven't watched it yet because I haven't watched the movie yet, but it's on my Tubi list.

. . . The little girl's screams hit that certain frequency in my brain that makes it painful to hear, and there's quite a lot of screaming from the girl going on. You just want to ducktape her mouth 2 or 3 times. . .
                            Not that I love screaming, but my dad, who has tinnitus, is super sensitive to high-pitched children.

Comment

• Scream 6. I loved it expecially the reveal. Now off to watch Wednesday since ms ortega is a fantastic actress
                              .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Cliffhanger (1993)
                                Cliffhanger_1993_intl_original_film_art_1200x.jpg?v=1644959958.jpg

“I must say, you’re a real piece of work.
                                -I must say, you’re a real piece of s**t.”
                                —30th anniversary.

Comment

Working...
                                X