The Star Wars Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
    Shakespeare is overated. I find his work too posh and wordy. Fine it may have been good, even great in it's day, but by modern standards, it's crap. I don't like it at all. Charles Dickens is ok, but Shakespeare is overated, and I'd rate Lucas over him any day.
    I'd say I am surprised by this statement but my mommy and Dolores Umbridge told me I should never tell a lie.

Topic Relevance:
    Empire all the way for me.
    I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Shakespeare is overated. I find his work too posh and wordy. Fine it may have been good, even great in it's day, but by modern standards, it's crap. I don't like it at all. Charles Dickens is ok, but Shakespeare is overated, and I'd rate Lucas over him any day.
      You do realize that you not liking something is not equivalent to it being overrated, right?

Nothing wrong with not enjoying Shakespeare (I'll admit that I struggle with READING some of the plays, even though I've yet to see a PERFORMANCE I didn't enjoy- well, OK the performance of Coriolanus I saw was kind of odd), but just remember that you not liking something that is highly rated doesn't make it overrated. It just makes you a statistical outlier.

Comment

• :Cue the post of DP saying he's never actually read or seen any Shakespeare but hates it all the same:
        I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

• I've studied MacBeth at school a few years back and read the book, did not like it one but. So fucking boring.

I don't like Shakespeare, and I'll admit alot of people do like him, but I also think he is overated. I don't think of him as "one of the greats". Fine he may have done a good job, but all the same he's overated.
          Originally posted by IonFan
          (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
          Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
          Originally posted by Quaker
          I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

• I'm curious as to what criteria you use to label something "overrated". It SEEMS like it is simply a matter of "I don't like it, while tons of other people do". Which basically just ends up sounding like sour grapes. I'd wager that the prevailing opinion would be that Shakespeare is UNDERrated by you.

For my part, there are very few things, I think, that I would apply the label "overrated" to. I can't actually think of one offhand, but I'm sure there are some. But I can tell you it wouldn't just be because I didn't like it. There's a HUGE load of stuff I don't like that I would never dream of making that determination about.
            Mister Ed
            Horse of a Different Color
            Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-09-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Too bad Shakespeare isn't all dark and gritty and full of blood and gore. Prob wouldnt be overrated then. Maybe Nolan or Snyder should write the next Shakepseare book and movie. I could see it now. Instead of Hamlet just holding a skull in his hand he could actually use a human head. Plus wouldn't it be great to have Ophelia eaten by a bunch of wild sea creatures instead of just drowning

Comment

• Oh come on, there have been so many people who are way much better than Shakespeare. Charles Dickins, John Steinbeck, George Lucas, Russel T Davies.
                If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                  Too bad Shakespeare isn't all dark and gritty and full of blood and gore. Prob wouldnt be overrated then. Maybe Nolan or Snyder should write the next Shakepseare book and movie. I could see it now. Instead of Hamlet just holding a skull in his hand he could actually use a human head. Plus wouldn't it be great to have Ophelia eaten by a bunch of wild sea creatures instead of just drowning
                  Oh wow you're so funny.

Shakespeares stuff actualy did have some gore in it, but it was just boring. Love storys are boring. I just find him so boring.

Comment

• Oh come on, there have been so many people who are way much better than Shakespeare. Charles Dickins, John Steinbeck, George Lucas, Russel T Davies.
                    One being better than the other is a matter of opinion. Still doesn't change the fact that it seems like the only reason you think he is overrated is because you don't like his stuff.

Shakespeares stuff actualy did have some gore in it, but it was just boring. Love storys are boring. I just find him so boring.
                    Have you read any of his other stories? They are not all love stories.

Comment

• In history, he is marked as one of the greats. He is not one of the great, his stuff is just so cardboard to me.

Comment

• George Lucas is a horrible writer. Good ideas, handy with a story outline, but writing? Lousy. Wrote the most unconvincing "romance" I've ever seen in Episode II. Anakin acts like a creepy stalker for the whole movie, making Padme VISIBLY uncomfortable, yet suddenly they are "in love" at the end. Ugh.

Plus I will never forgive him for what IMHO has to be the STUPIDEST line in ANY Star Wars movie, prim, prissy droid C-3PO, uttering "What a drag" as his head is dragged across the arena by R2. Horrible, obvious pun, and totally out of character to boot.

Comment

Oh come on, there have been so many people who are way much better than Shakespeare. Charles Dickins, John Steinbeck, George Lucas, Russel T Davies.
                          What I find kind of amusing is the almost complete certainty that all of those authors would hold Shakespeare as one of the greats. And I'd be willing to bet that if you told Lucas his writing was better than Shakespeare, he'd look at you like you had two heads.

Comment

... Plus wouldn't it be great to have Ophelia eaten by a bunch of wild sea creatures instead of just drowning ...
                            To be fair, that does sound kind of sweet.

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                            Oh come on, there have been so many people who are way much better than Shakespeare. Charles Dickins, John Steinbeck, George Lucas, Russel T Davies.

Class: today we'll be discussing the greats. You know, Charles Dickens, George Lucas, Russel T. Davies ... and if we have time, we'll throw in Shakespeare.

Comment

Plus wouldn't it be great to have Ophelia eaten by a bunch of wild sea creatures instead of just drowning
                              No, no, no, she'd have to be only PARTIALLY eaten. Otherwise we don't get to see the gore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                Plus I will never forgive him for what IMHO has to be the STUPIDEST line in ANY Star Wars movie, prim, prissy droid C-3PO, uttering "What a drag" as his head is dragged across the arena by R2. Horrible, obvious pun, and totally out of character to boot.
                                Poor attempt at comedy to appeal to the younger demographic. Same goes with Jar Jar Binks in Episode I accidentally taking out droids. The prequels are full of these types of slapstick comedic moments.

Comment

Working...
                                X