Son of Classic Horror Films (50s & 60s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
    I saw both Demon Night and Bordello of Blood in the theater with my friends back when they came out. They were both a lot of fun.
    Yeah, all three are fun and have a certain vibe I like, but can't explain. Ritual is a bit cheaper. I don't think it had a theatrical release. But it does have pre-stroke Tim Curry.

Comment

• I never saw that one.

Comment

I never saw that one.
        I think you'd like unless you hate Tim Curry (not that he's a main character) and voodoo movies.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-11-2017, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• Love Tim Curry. The guy is hilarious.

Comment

Love Tim Curry. The guy is hilarious.

It also has the Crypt Keeper in rasta gear, so that's probably worth the rental alone.

Comment

• So, the other night, I watched Horrors of the Black Museum (1959)

"No woman can hold her tongue. They're a vicious, unreliable breed!"

This movie stars Michael Gough (Alfred from '89) as a crime writer investigating with Scotland Yard a serial killer who seems to kill women with notorious weapons from the Black Museum (SY's closed murder archives). It's notable for being on the vanguard of the movies that eventually spawned the gore craze of the 60s and on. Pretty good.

Comment

• These are more sci-fi than straight-up horror (and I've seen #1 and 4 before), but I recently watched

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)

This is actually a good (and pretty well-known) movie about a man who has the unfortunate bad luck to be exposed to fallout after pesticide, which shrinks him continually. The screenplay is by I Am Legend-writer Richard Matheson.

=====================
                and in the infamous category

The Giant Claw (1957)

Actually, by plot this movie would rank as average 50s B movie and could've ranked as better had they gone to Ray Harryhausen for effects (as originally planned) instead of an unheard of Mexican company that brought them this thing. Pretty fun.

=====================

The Monolith Monsters (1957)

This was a hidden gem I heard about through G-Fest and watched with my Mom. The premise is cool because the threat is not menacing, but natural. A meteorite shatters strange rocks which grow uncontrollably and during their growth can contaminate people, stiffening them to death. Pretty cool. Recommend.

In a funny quirk, the family who dies (except for one infected girl) is named Simpson and the professor called in to help is a Flanders.

========================

Amazing Colossal Man (1957)

Col. Manning has an origin that it seems Lee and Kirby might've snatched: he inadvertently is exposed to a nuclear test, which makes him grow continuously and gives him a really bad attitude. The finale in Las Vegas is the most famous and best part.

and the next year saw the sequel . . .

=======================

War of the Colossal Beast (1958)

The first one is not perfect, but this removes a lot of the stronger points. Unexpectedly surviving the bazookas and falling off the Hoover Dam (now that's resilience!), Manning is now a scarred and nearly mindless beast. His fiance seems to have forgotten him, but not so his MIA-last-movie (where his fiance specifically said he had no family left) sister who tracks him down, now near LA.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 09-21-2017, 03:00 AM.

Comment

• I've seen the Amazing Collossal Man and the Collossal Beast and enjoyed them both. Creature Double Feature used to air them on Saturdays on WLVI channel 56. God I miss that show!

I also saw the Incredible Shrinking Man when I was a kid. I remember feeling sad about the ending, but not wanting to change it at the same time.

Comment

• ^It's an interesting ending because it's just as tragic as ACM or Attack of the 50-Foot Woman, but he has that metaphysical epiphany (which my quote comes from in Last Film) that leaves you with at least a sense of peace.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, it was a weird feeling, because he had made peace with his fate, and was going to make the most of the time he had. Not an ending you expect from a sci fi movie of that era.

Comment

• ^Near the end, he actually loses any apetite suggesting he's shrunk beyond human need for that (how his body is even still working is beyond anything we could explain biologically). So, will he starve, or will he contine consciouslly drifting downward? The latter is pretty frightening since he'll always be alone and when he gets to subatomic level he'll be in a constant free fall because an atom is mostly empty space. I'd say I was overthinking it, but it's a Matheson script and the ending specifically calls you to compare the vastness of space with vastness of the infinitely small.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 09-22-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Now, this Cinemassacre I fully approve of. Every horror fan should be aware of Hammer and particularly Lee's Drac:

+ YouTube Video
                          ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Speaking of Lee's Dracula movies for Hammer, when oh WHEN are they going to release boxsets by monster?!? I've been waiting for years to upgrade from vhs, and I've held out for a boxset. Universal has done two great sets now that has a complete set of moves for all their monsters, and Hammer needs to copy that format. For instance, if you just like Frankenstein, you get all 8 Frankenstein movies on that set. Just like the Wolfman? You get all 5. And so on. Movies are duplicated between sets, but that's EXACTLY how I wanted it.

What I want is a set of all 9 hammer Dracula movies, including the ones Lee wasn't in. From The Horror Of Dracula to The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires should be together, with special features. It would make me SO happy.

Comment

• ^Agreed and this video talks about that at the end. There's some new blu-ray sets out and coming out, but they seem to be mixed again. I only own three of the Hammer vampire movies. To complete the set, I'd not only have to spend a lot of money, but I'd end up with doubless and more non-classic-monster generic Hammer horror (some of which I already have).

Comment

• + YouTube Video
                                ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X