Son of Classic Horror Films (50s & 60s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    Well, that's quite a coincidence. My LCS doesn't carry that one. Guess I'll have to stop at B&N.
    Another coincidence...B & N is exactly where I got mine.

Comment

• That's not the same issue with the interview with Ann Carter from Curse of the Cat People, is it?

Comment

That's not the same issue with the interview with Ann Carter from Curse of the Cat People, is it?
        Yes, yes it is.

The interview with Jane Randolph was the one before that.

Comment

• Well, the Youtube link I provided is to Cinema Insomnia's broadcast of it. Mr. Lobo is one of those late-night horror hosts. He's okay but the interruptions are way to frequent and I'm sure they had to cut the movie to make room for them.

As far as the movie, it was perhaps what you'd expect. It's entertaining to think of a Mexican wrestler as an adventuring do-gooder. He drives around in his Spider, from which he can teleconference with a "scientist."

One of the vampires has the strongest reaction I've ever seen to a cross in a vamp movie: she instantly combusts! The vampires are apparently really stupid. They fall for the old Nosferatu plot, but unlike the unfortunate Count Orlac, they know the sun is about to rise and there's like 10 of them that get it anyway. Plus, why the hell would you secret vampire lair have a giant window open (and to the east nonetheless)?!

On a plus note, the lead vampire reminds me of a Mexican Elizabeth Taylor.

Here's Santo finishing the job (yes, he keeps his cape and mask on).

BTW: This guy is supposed to be a vampire (he turns into a bat like 30 seconds later), so I'm not sure what's up with the wolfman look.

Comment

• My, my...I will have to look into this...muchas gracias, amigo!

Comment

• Hammer. Hammer. I was humming ELO's turned to stone for this English flick about an under-the-full-moon Gorgon (Magera).

Unusually, Peter Cushing is almost a villain and Christopher Lee is the hero!

And check this out, Peter Cushing and Patrick Troughton in the same movie. Two Doctor Whos! What are the odds? Did this happen again (I can't think of one)?

Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 03-26-2012, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• Grammercy/UA's stab at the Dracula market. Unfortunately for them, they released this in '58 and later that year Horror of Dracula came out with Christopher Lee and Hammer soon eclipsing this flick about Dracula assuming they identity of a European artist and going to live in Smalltown USA. And what logical locale does he pick? Why, sunny California of course!

It's okay. They focus on Drac's hypnotic powers. Rather bizarrely the entire flick is done in b&w except one moment when a vamp is killed and the blood is in color. This must've been a shock tactic and it probably worked since 50+ years later even I had a WTF moment.

BTW: all corpses are apparently put on dry ice in this flick. This isn't just Drac's smoke power since a later pre-turned body has the smoking coffin feature.

Comment

• It's interesting that you would say "sunny California"...when I saw it, it looked more like "overcast with a 40% chance of thunderstorms southern Ohio".

Comment

• Well, they say California.
                    If the scene has Dracula in it, it's supposed to be night, but a lot of that was pretty bright "night"; day-for-night maybe? I'm just amused with the idea of Dracula sitting around and thinking "where in America should I go? I know, southern California!"

They definitely used day-for-night in the Hammer flick I watched last night. They have one bright moon in "Vandorf" Germany.

Comment

Well, they say California.
                      If the scene has Dracula in it, it's supposed to be night, but a lot of that was pretty bright "night"; day-for-night maybe? I'm just amused with the idea of Dracula sitting around and thinking "where in America should I go? I know, southern California!"
                      I would think he'd want to spend at least 6 months of the year in Northern Alaska.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      They definitely used day-for-night in the Hammer flick I watched last night. They have one bright moon in "Vandorf" Germany.
                      That's no moon! It's the Death Star! Get us outta here!!

Comment

• One of my favorites from when I was a kid, part of the short lived period of British films delving into the sci-fi/horror mixed genre. Very cool stop-motion creatures that prove the point that "you are what you eat".

Perky!

Comment

• I recognize the brain, but can't remember if I've actually seen that one. Could've seen the brain in some documentary on sci-fi.

Comment

I recognize the brain, but can't remember if I've actually seen that one. Could've seen the brain in some documentary on sci-fi.
                            I thought you posted this a while back?

Gee, I blew right past post #5,555 without even realizing.

Comment

• Well, Netflix doesn't have a record that I watched it from them, but I could've seen it on TV. The brain looks really familiar but the other screen caps don't. Sure looks like something I would watch.

Comment

Well, Netflix doesn't have a record that I watched it from them, but I could've seen it on TV. The brain looks really familiar but the other screen caps don't. Sure looks like something I would watch.
                                Keep it together, my brother. You don't want to end up like this guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X