The ring constructs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ring constructs

If I were writing GL, I'd get rid of them. I don't think anyone would actually miss them, and the people who dislike them wouldn't be put off.

Well, you've just permanently lost any support I might throw your way for writing GL. The constructs are a big part of what sets GL apart from any number of other flying, energy-projecting heroes, IMHO. The power to use your imagination to make whatever you need for a given situation.

Who knows, maybe getting rid of the constructs WOULD increase sales, but frankly, I don't much care. If you have to make Green Lantern something completely different to increase sales, I don't see the point.

Comment

You didn't miss them in the two issues I wrote, did you? You didn't even notice they were gone until I told you they were, did you?

They have nothing to do with making the stories any better, and dropping them doesn't make the comic "completely different."
      Trey Strain
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-27-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Constructs are what make up GL. Not flight, not the protective aura. The constructs, lasting only seconds or (in Kyle's day) longer than 24 hours. Hollow or in John Stewart's guns, full of details. The green energy is constructs. Look how the reds and blues and yellows all try to get their own constructs, to match the greens.

Comment

Yeah, if constructs were actually retconned out that would probably be one of the few things that would make me quit GL. It was always the fact that the ring could make whatever you will that attracted me to GL. It was true when I was 6 and it's true when I'm 34.

Comment

Spy, exactly why would you eliminate constructs? What is your reasoning? They might not make stories better, but constructs adds to the uniqueness of a GL's power set. Take away constructs and all you have is another Captain Atom type, and there are a TON of those in the DCU.

Comment

I say use them less in the stories but don't get rid of them. Just get rid of most the rainbow corps.
              Originally posted by IonFan
              (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
              Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
              If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
              Originally posted by Quaker
              I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
                You didn't miss them in the two issues I wrote, did you? You didn't even notice they were gone until I told you they were, did you?

They have nothing to do with making the stories any better, and dropping them doesn't make the comic "completely different."
                In your opinion. I think it does. It radically changes the powerset of the character, and eliminates a big part of what makes GL unique and interesting in my opinion.

As to the issues you wrote. I read them quickly a while back, and there were, obviously, no visuals. The absence of constructs was not, therefore, apparent. It has been long enough that I cannot say this with certainty, but I strongly suspect that in any scenes where you had GL using the ring to accomplish some purpose, my mind was most likely envisioning some sort of construct even if it wasn't spelled out in the script.

Comment

Mr. Ed has cknowledged that the GL comics would probably sell better without the constructs. And if I'm getting paid royalties as a comics writer, then I'm going to do what I can to make them sell, becauase that's money coming out of my pocket when they don't sell. Besides that, I think they're silly, just as a lot of other people do, and I'd have a hard time writing them into a scene with a straight face.

Amyway, you don't need them. A power ring can do whatever a Federation starship can do. That's plenty. Probably too much, really.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

And Mr. Ed, you should real those issues with some care before you make a pronouncement on my writing. That's what I'd do if I were in your place.

Comment

Mr. Ed has cknowledged that the GL comics would probably sell better without the constructs.
                      Nope. I never did that. I said MAYBE they would. I've got no idea whether they would or not. My point was only that, even if that were true, I would be against it, because if you are going to change the character THAT much to make them sell, you may as well just scrap them and start over, because the comic really won't be the same.

And if I'm getting paid royalties as a comics writer, then I'm going to do what I can to make them sell, becauase that's money coming out of my pocket when they don't sell. Besides that, I think they're silly, just as a lot of other people do, and I'd have a hard time writing them into a scene with a straight face.
                      And this is why I now am much less amenable to the idea of you writing for GL.

Comment

And Mr. Ed, you should real those issues with some care before you make a pronouncement on my writing. That's what I'd do if I were in your place.
                        What was the pronouncement on your writing that I made? I forget. It wasn't in this thread, as here we aren't discussing your writing, but rather your desire to drastically change the concept and powerset for the character.

Comment

Sir, you're the one who brought up my writing GL, and then admitted that you've barely glanced at what I've written, but that you don't want me writing it because I'd flush the ring constructs. So I agree, you should butt out of this.
                          Trey Strain
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-27-2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Folks, don't think like fanboys. Think like writers and publishers.

Don't say, "Yeah, if you got rid of A, then the comic would sell better, but hey, I choke my chicken over A, and that's what matters."

No, that's not what matters. We're talking about preserving a dying industry here.
                            Trey Strain
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-27-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                              Spy, exactly why would you eliminate constructs? What is your reasoning? They might not make stories better, but constructs adds to the uniqueness of a GL's power set. Take away constructs and all you have is another Captain Atom type, and there are a TON of those in the DCU.

Comment

Working...
                              X