Why is this place so dead lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this place so dead lately?

Does it have to do with the quality of the Green Lantern comics right now? or the dissatisfaction with the GL series right now? Ive just noticed how bad it has been lately....no updates on any of my thread subscriptions. Come on guys the idea of GL has always been greater than the stories that were being told and there have been terrible times before in Green Lantern history.

yeah i've noticed this too, ever since Lights Out

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I've also noticed a lack of activity.

Some of it is probably about some fans sulking about the quality of the series decreasing.

Or maybe everything has just been said already. Maybe no one has any time for this place anymore.
      Originally posted by IonFan
      (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
      Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
      If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
      Originally posted by Quaker
      I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Maybe you need to subscribe to new threads.

Comment

:Moderator:

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
          Or maybe everything has just been said already.
          This. When the forum first opened, there was plenty to talk about with GL, from the (then) current run to everything that happened before. The past has all been talked about, and as of now doesn't even matter anymore. The current run is either liked or disliked, but discussions concerning it are minimal at best.

I don't even come here for GL anymore, I come for the other stuff that's on here.
          sigpic
          Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Same here, I barley ever talk about GL.

I think what we need is some large project to keep this place open. Something to keep discussion going. An RPG probably wouldn't work, the last one we tried with Kid Lantern sort of dissolved and my mini one with a couple of members also dissolved eventually. Hmm, what project would be viable?
            If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

(1) Fan fiction.

(2) Dunno.

Hey, even a contest to change the banners didn't get us going. Maybe we all just need to take a break...until there's some real writing in the books.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

The Green Lantern history has been destroyed since the New 52. I have no idea what's cannon and what isn't, and how great old stories have been ruined by the new 52 with some bs 'modernizing'.

Then Hal Jordan is written to be a complete an utter idiot, and the power he's saved the universe a bazillion time over is now destroying all of existence. I suppose one can only complain so much before they just don't care anymore about the comics. 99% vs 1% and global climate change is all the Incompetent and Chief ever talks about on the news and now basically my favorite comic character's have that same bs front and center in most of the books.

New creative teams, new and interesting SCI FI stories and I'll bet the site comes back to life.

Comment

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Comment

I don't really consider myself deeply ingrained in this community, so I don't have the best perspective, perhaps, but here are some observations coming from someone who is kinda' learned in the area of online communities, what makes them run, what makes them slow down, what makes them fail, and things like that:

From what I'm able to gather, prevailing opinion here is that Green Lantern kinda' blows. This is likely going to push away enthusiastic fans who want to discuss the subject. It might welcome disgruntled people, but generally speaking, I don't think forums can thrive well on negativity.

New, enthusiastic, or curious members are the life blood of a busy forum. With just older members hanging around, forums tend to get a sort of close knit 'clubhouse' vibe, and while that may seem really cozy to some of the 'oldbies,' it is another thing that is likely going to push new people away, because they won't be in the forum's "in crowd." You know you're getting the kind of clubhouse vibe when most of the people on the forum don't care about the subject anymore, and are spending most of their time on the forum discussing off-topic subjects. Perhaps it's not all of them don't care, but they've discussed the same things with the same people so much, that they don't have anything more to say.

I think the misfires with the Green Lantern movie and cartoon did a lot of harm to the franchise and its momentum. Interest in Green Lantern has gone considerably down. Green Lantern has pretty much come to a halt in more mainstream media, and on the comics front, it's gone from having the biggest name in comics writing the title, to some unknowns fresh out of indie comics.

That said, I don't think the lack of buzz is due to the creative teams' work. I think they could be writing the best stuff in the world and the same thing would happen, just because of who they are and who they're succeeding. I actually think the quality of the work has gone up considerably, and it's much more to my personal interest.

But, save for movie casting rumors, Green Lantern just doesn't have the buzz around it that it once had. There's nothing to be done for that.

Anyway, none of these are really criticisms of the board, just mentioning things I've observed and even studied with message boards. And if the user base here tends not to like the Green Lantern things being produced now... I don't really know what can be done about that. People who do like it and are excited about it are likely the ones to keep the forum going steady.
                    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                      I think the misfires with the Green Lantern movie and cartoon did a lot of harm to the franchise and its momentum. Interest in Green Lantern has gone considerably down. Green Lantern has pretty much come to a halt in more mainstream media, and on the comics front, it's gone from having the biggest name in comics writing the title, to some unknowns fresh out of indie comics.
                      Uhh what harm did GLTAS cause to the Green Lantern franchise exactly? It was a good show that was very well liked, and if anything it brought some new readers to the GL comics. So yeah I'll agree that the movie hurt the GL's reputation but certainly not the show.
                      Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

What more is there for any of us really to say? It is hard to be a GL fan lately. There is nothing to be excited about. Me personally I am tired of complaining about the book. I only complain when I think DC may actually care about what the fans are saying about something. It has become clear that they are not listening so why waste our breath anymore?
                        Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

From what I'm hearing, we're all gonna have to wait until anything GL related gets good again. And that could take a jolly long time.

As Evergreen City has said, even the competition for the new forum banner hasn't really taken off. about two years ago though that would have been quite massive round here, would have been tons of entry's and lots of buzz. But now it's just sat there like a bored fat kid. Maybe we just have to accept that this might be the end.

Plus lately my enthusiasm for comicbooks has gone down, maybe I'm growing out of them or maybe I'm just too lazy to read them. Nowadays I'm mainly just hyped up about films and TV shows, and the only thing that I regularly feel enthused about lately is Arrow. So that's my personal reason for not feeling the buzz round here anymore. Lately I've been more into art (both paintings and pixel art such as microheroes), music (especially 80s), this girl in my class and drinking massive amounts of tea.

Comment

It's a combination of things:

*No solo movie sequel

*No concrete plans for GL in SvB or the possible JL movie

*Cartoon cancelled

*Some people don't like the New 52

*No concrete plans for a GL to be on Arrow

*The Geoff Johns buzz is gone

*Heavy criticism by fans of the new writing on GL/GLC

*Mattel's DC Classics line ending for a kid-centric line, Total Heroes

*DC having an overall reduced presence in movies/TV, especially compared to their flourishing competitor, Marvel

It's not a pretty picture, but GL fans have been in similar places in the past.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Lots of people have left the board. Andrew hardly posts anymore, Kuhan is too busy with real life, people like Methos, Bruce Castle, Orion Pax, Darth Andrea and countless others are just gone. Some of it certainly has to do with the declining quality of the comic books ever since Sinestro Corps War. Then there's the movie that tanked, the games that were shit, and the animated series that got cancelled. Also Facebook has been the death knell of many message boards, since it has a lot more "members", instant gratification and is a massive time waster that hardly leaves any spare time to check the boards. Add to that the lack of forum contests, no new "Hal & Kyle Show" episodes since Andrew's Highlander movies took off (a huge part of this is my fault since I still haven't finished filming my scenes of a planned live-action episode), no Lil' Lantern strips since JL8 started, and the buzz is pretty much dead.

But everything is cyclical, and eventually, things will get better again. We just have to be patient until that happens. And we have to keep posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X