This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
    Hal was only able to prove that because Sinestro and the guardians didn't give a fuck about what happened to him, so they let him go out to get himself killed. Sinestro didn't want anyone else to die...obviously excluding his best friends replacement. Before Hal, they were getting their ass kicked. Be mad that the entire corps let him fight Parallax alone while they were apparently watching from an arms distance.

Also be mad that the villain was a fucking cloud...
    they didn't let Hal fight alone, Sin., Tom., and 'Wog were there........ they were just late to the big fight

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I think this is my main problem with the film. Everything else was pretty good, but why make Parallax a cloud?

toweroffate.blogspot.com

Comment

I prefer the term "dryer lint octopus," as coined by The New York Times' Manohla Dargis.
        Originally posted by JuanMal View Post
        I think this is my main problem with the film. Everything else was pretty good, but why make Parallax a cloud?
        Because it was originally going to be a new version of Legion, which makes sense considering that it absorbs life force, and multiple faces can be seen on its body at numerous points in the film. Johns had it changed to Parallax, ostensibly to better fit his vision of the franchise, but I'm guessing most of the CGI work was already done.
        SD80MAC
        Not a True Fan
        Last edited by SD80MAC; 11-09-2011, 05:02 PM.
        The last fan of 1990s comics
        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

• Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
          Because it was originally going to be a new version of Legion, which makes sense considering that it absorbs life force, and multiple faces can be seen on its body at numerous points in the film. Johns had it changed to Parallax, ostensibly to better fit his vision of the franchise, but I'm guessing most of the CGI work was already done.
          Source? I think that's a pretty big assumption, I followed the film's development really closely and I don't think this was ever explicitly stated. I'm pretty sure they announced the villain in the synopsis way before Johns got heavily involved in the project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
            Well, a little late to the game but I finally saw the movie. It wasn't some Epic Masterpiece like a GL movie could have been (not that I expected it to be by any means) but it was fun, I enjoyed it.

Pros:
            - Ryan Reynolds makes a great Hal. All the characters had great casting.
            - I liked Hammond as a bad guy, thought they did a good job with him.
            - The fighting was fast, as a GL battle should be.
            - The story overall was well done, a good mix of new and old
            - Hals car is awesome.

Cons:
            - Too much CGI - but that's a common gripe I have with all newer movies. The mask looked lame.
            - Hammond died - would have liked to see him in the future, more mutated and more powerful.
            - Not enough fighting/training for Hal Vs. other GLs, would have liked to see Kilowog and Tomars roles expanded in the training sequences.

- My main issue was Sinestro: there wasn't much motivation for him to ditch the GL Ring and go Yellow, not like there was in the comics. "We have to fight Fear with Fear", um, no...Hal showed you that you DIDN'T have to do that, and that Will is stronger. The only major letdown for me.

Overall - 7/10.

-1 for lame CGI mask/CGI suits
            -1 killing Hammond
            -1 Too little motivation for Sinestro to turn Yellow

Unfortunately, I don't think I'd bother to see it again anytime soon.
            Well, you're not as late to the party as me.

I haven't seen it, and have no plans to see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
              We already know that Legion will be the major threat to the Corps in the movie and Hector Hammond will be the major threat to Earth.
              Your quote from 11-26-09.

At least then you though Legion was the major threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by myuserid View Post
                Well, you're not as late to the party as me.

I haven't seen it, and have no plans to see it.

AND WHY NOT?

IonFan says

Comment

• Originally posted by IonFan View Post

AND WHY NOT?
                  Uhh, because it looks crappy.

Comment

Your quote from 11-26-09.

At least then you though Legion was the major threat.
                    I'm not disputing that Legion was the original villain, he was, that's in the first draft, I'm disputing that we don't know for sure that it was Johns who made the call to change his name from Legion to Parallax.

Comment

He needs to be able to keep his irrational, unjustified loathing for it alive.

Like I do with Avatar.

Comment

• Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
                        I'm not disputing that Legion was the original villain, he was, that's in the first draft, I'm disputing that we don't know for sure that it was Johns who made the call to change his name from Legion to Parallax.
                        Who else would it be? It's his job, after all. And it lined up with his use of Krona in the comics at the time (though Krona's name being spoken onscreen was inexplicably missing).
                        The last fan of 1990s comics
                        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

• Originally posted by JuanMal View Post
                          why have parallax at all in the first film?

they shouldve went with the first flight storyline because they couldve shown alot of hals training and learning the ropes, also the relationship between he and sinestro and all that noise but nooooooooooo wb had to fuck it up by adding a villain who really never played a role in hals orgin story
                          .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Who else would it be? It's his job, after all. And it lined up with his use of Krona in the comics at the time (though Krona's name being spoken onscreen was inexplicably missing).
                            There was a lot of people working on the movie, and a lot of writers, I don't doubt that it could have been Johns, but I don't think it's right to "blame" him without any sufficient real evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
                              He needs to be able to keep his irrational, unjustified loathing for it alive.

Like I do with Avatar.

IonFan says

Comment

dude the movie isnt johns fault man. if anything wb wanted to add what is currently going on wich at the time was krona.

i dont blame johns at all because the script was the way it was before he got on board.

its the sam rami deal all over again
                                .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Working...
                                X