• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you think?

Comment

• I LOVE it!!!!

Comment

• So I drove to town and bought a 12 foot HDMI cable at Walmart, then hooked up my laptop to my living room tv. No way am I watching this show on a laptop or my phone.

My overall feeling on the first episode was that the goofy teasers DC released early on didn't do the show any favors. It was MUCH better than I was lead to believe. It wasn't until the recent 4 minute trailer that I got a real sense of the tone and direction of the show, which was what ultimately made me plunk down 75 bucks. Now that I watched the first episode, I've pretty much dropped my pants to my ankles, bent over and said "take me DC, I'm yours!"

For a pilot episode, this did a great job of recapping the 3 essential members' origins, Cliff Steele, Rita Farr and Larry Trainor. There is plenty of time to delve into Niles Caulder and Kay Challis as time goes on. The episode was well written and well acted. The editing and pacing for the pilot was pretty good; I feel like they really took time and effort to get this right. The CGI is better than I would expect for a tv show. This is definitely an R rated show and they really went for it with the sex and nudity. They did a few changes to the origins and character traits that I won't outright spoil, but I'll say Cliff has more going in the show than in the comics, and the trailers already show some things about Larry that never were true in the comics. On both of these I find I am actually pretty good with. My inner OCD for comic faithfullness never came out while watching this like it does every 6 seconds on CW's The Flash. I think the changes to Cliff and Larry actually work very well and make sense. Cliff is given much more depth and I'm not offended by what they did to Larry.

I haven't brought myself to watch Titans yet but will this week sometime. That said, everything I have seen so far on Titans tells me Doom Patrol is going to be leaps and bounds better than that show. I'm thinking if the people that make these shows are learning as they go and DP is far better than Titans, than it REALLY gives me hope on how well Swamp Thing is going to turn out. Last I read, Swampy will debut at the end of May and run through to the end of August.

I do wish they would drop these shows all at once so I could binge them, but I get why they don't seeing they give you a free week to try out the streaming service. If Doom Patrol turns out as well as the pilot did, and Swampy is as good or better, I'll resubscribe next year.

Comment

• You can catch up on Young Justice while you wait, though it is a bit bleaker than the two previous seasons.

Comment

• Yeah my son is a big fan of Young Justice and wants to do a rewatch from the beginning, so we will likely do that together. I remember really liking the old episodes that I saw.

Comment

• Yo.

I watched that 1st eps of DP too, but Im a lot LESS forgiving towards the changes they made to make it tv-fashionable (most of which just seemed....overly excessive to me.)

Im gonna give this a hard pass, like Titans.
              :/

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
              Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                I watched that 1st eps of DP too, but Im a lot LESS forgiving towards the changes they made to make it tv-fashionable (most of which just seemed....overly excessive to me.)
                Tazer
                Well, Dave's happening like that and would rather his Star Wars or Doom Patrol appeal to PC hipsters.

Comment

• Ha! I'm going all SJW baby! I just burned up my Man Card!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                    Yo.

Tazer
                    Out of curioisity (and begrugedly, respect for your opinion...) What did you find excessive about the changes they made?

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Well, Dave's happening like that and would rather his Star Wars or Doom Patrol appeal to PC hipsters.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                      Out of curioisity (and begrugedly, respect for your opinion...) What did you find excessive about the changes they made?
                      honestly, it seemed like the writers took a look at all of the sad & pathetic shit from the various revisions/reconceptualizings these guys have been through and figured they needed MORE baggage (like Cliff being responsible for his wifes death, or Larry being married w/children....but closeted). I cant speak much for Crazy Jane since I never read any of the stories w/her (Im guessing shes from the Vertigo -runs??), and Rita now being a puddle of goo who remembers what she looked like is right out of the book, but that she now seems to suffer from some form of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (or something similar) and is stuck watching her old films from 20 - 30yrs ago just to smile again seems a shame to dump on who I remember to be the most chipper member of the group.

I mean, this show had such a heavy "Woe is me..." -vibe, they mustve been stuck watching ppl in metal-cleated jackboots stomp on freshly-born puppies or something..........
                      /shrug

lastly, I know I'll prolly shock a lot of ppl by saying this, but I gotta be honest here: the use of the word "fuck" past its 5th utterance was just tiring. :/

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Huh. Fair enough. I can't or won't really argue against your criticisms as I think they are valid if the way it was done rubs you the wrong way. For me those things added or fleshed out their story story...and I am ALL about old school. But I can see why some fans won't like the self pity party that starts the show.

Comment

• I hate reading that the abbreviation for "Doom Patrol" is "DP" as to me that's Deadpool.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear people are liking "Doom Patrol." It gives me more motivation to sign with the DC streaming service. I'll most likely wait until the end of the year to sign up as I wait for more content to be available in their library.

Is the animated films of "Death of Superman" and "Reign of the Supermen" on the streaming service yet? I heard complaints that "Reign of the Supermen" wasn't available same day it was dropped for digital download.
                          You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                            I hate reading that the abbreviation for "Doom Patrol" is "DP" as to me that's Deadpool...
                            There's a few things DP can stand for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              There's a few things DP can stand for.

Ahhh, memories. Good times...

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                                I hate reading that the abbreviation for "Doom Patrol" is "DP" as to me that's Deadpool.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear people are liking "Doom Patrol." It gives me more motivation to sign with the DC streaming service. I'll most likely wait until the end of the year to sign up as I wait for more content to be available in their library.

Is the animated films of "Death of Superman" and "Reign of the Supermen" on the streaming service yet? I heard complaints that "Reign of the Supermen" wasn't available same day it was dropped for digital download.

Both were on there as of last night. I have noticed they are moving things around and even taking things off. On Friday when I signed up, both DC live action specials were on the roast and the other one. Then they were gone. There are a lot of animated movies that arent on there as well. Like they are holding back.

Comment

Working...
                                X