Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem is injecting liberal politics into the marketing of a product. That stuff is radioactive, and the people who insist on doing it can't figure that out. Look at what's happening to Marvel, ESPN and Starbucks. Promoting liberalism is killing them, and they can't even admit it, let alone turn it around. In business, keep your politics to yourself or watch your customers walk. There are a few exceptions but those are in specialized markets.

Comment

• Snowflakes who really don't give a shit about Wonder Woman or the DCU have been trying to hijack this movie all along.

They've bitched because WW's armpits are shaved.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...it-hair-2017-4

And they've bitched about the promotion of diet bars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...diet-bars.html

You can't make up this stuff. DC doesn't need people like this volunteering their services to "help" the movie.
      Trey Strain
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-26-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Having a couple women-only shows is "injecting liberal politics"? These objections are sounding snowflakier all the time...

Women like doing stuff with other women. All I see is a theater trying to capitalize on that fact to draw women to a movie they might not otherwise have been as interested in seeing by making an event of it.

Comment

• If you think that's going to make men want to go see the movie, then you're welcome to think so. I think, on the contrary, some men are going to say, "Well, fuck you too."

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            If you think that's going to make men want to go see the movie, then you're welcome to think so. I think, on the contrary, some men are going to say, "Well, fuck you too."
            Snowflake-y men, perhaps. Very, very snowflake-y men, if they can't handle not being able to watch a COUPLE of the scores of showings of the film available to them.

If they movie is GOOD, I can't imagine very many men who would sit home sulking about a couple women-only shows, when they otherwise would have been happy to see the film. If the movie sucks...well then I imagine that suckiness will have a much larger impact on ticket sales than a few snowflake-y men staying home because they had their feelings hurt by a couple women-only showings.

I imagine they thought that making women want to go see a comic book superhero movie was more of a challenge, and threw a little (very little, in the grand scheme of things) effort that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              Snowflake-y men, perhaps. Very, very snowflake-y men, if they can't handle not being able to watch a COUPLE of the scores of showings of the film available to them.

If they movie is GOOD, I can't imagine very many men who would sit home sulking about a couple women-only shows, when they otherwise would have been happy to see the film. If the movie sucks...well then I imagine that suckiness will have a much larger impact on ticket sales than a few snowflake-y men staying home because they had their feelings hurt by a couple women-only showings.

I imagine they thought that making women want to go see a comic book superhero movie was more of a challenge, and threw a little (very little, in the grand scheme of things) effort that way.
              Sulking? No, I think some men will just find something else to do besides handing their nasty old male money over to WB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                Sulking? No, I think some men will just find something else to do besides handing their nasty old male money over to WB.
                Sounds pretty sulky to me, to develop that attitude from something this minor. "Gee, WB must not want my money very much if only 50 of the 52 showings of this movie today in my area are open to me! Never mind that every single showing on every other day is open to me, too!"

Nothing at all about these showings says a thing about contempt for men, except in the minds of the very touchiest of snowflakes. To my thinking, anybody that bothered by this is probably already somebody who was set against seeing the movie in the first place, solely because it had a female lead.

Comment

• Are there gonna be men offended when 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 3' comes out and there's an all women showing? LOL

~//V\\~

Comment

• ^I have to agree with Ed. This doesn't even sound like a real WB initiative. It's just the Alamo Drafthouse (a place already known for special showings) doing their own promotion. It's not even a policy. If there's backlash, I would think it would be on them, not the whole movie. But even if there is there would probably be even more who would go to support the theater.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      ^I have to agree with Ed. This doesn't even sound like a real WB initiative. It's just the Alamo Drafthouse (a place already known for special showings) doing their own promotion. It's not even a policy. If there's backlash, I would think it would be on them, not the whole movie. But even if there is there would probably be even more who would go to support the theater.
                      Of course it's not WB. Bit this nonsense in Texas is getting attention. Rolling Stone magazine, which also doesn't give a shit about Wonder Woman but only cares about dragging politics into it, just published a piece defending the theater. I know WB wishes all these imbeciles would go away and let them sell their movie.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...utrage-w484439

Comment

• ^True, but that kind of thing is impossible to predict and I don't think it usually ends up as a bad as it sounds. I remember when Tropic Thunder came out there was a hullabaloo over the frequent use of the word "retard." It didn't seem to actually hurt the movie, though. If anything, it probably brought more attention to it.

Comment

• ANY publicity is good publicity. It's the only reason some people have jobs.

~//V\\~

Comment

• Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                            ANY publicity is good publicity. It's the only reason some people have jobs.
                            I don't know if that's totally true, but I know it often has been. Sean Cunningham wryly thanks Roger Ebert for contributing to Friday the 13th success with his call for a ban and his print war against it. It was like free advertising.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              I don't know if that's totally true, but I know it often has been. Sean Cunningham wryly thanks Roger Ebert for contributing to Friday the 13th success with his call for a ban and his print war against it. It was like free advertising.
                              I bet that did help now that you mention it.

BTW, just downloaded the Friday the 13th game for PS4. Watching my son play it as I type this!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                                I bet that did help now that you mention it.

BTW, just downloaded the Friday the 13th game for PS4. Watching my son play it as I type this!
                                That's definitely on the top of the list if I ever get a PS4 or XBox One.

Comment

Working...
                                X