Gondry: "Comic-Con nerds are facist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gondry: "Comic-Con nerds are facist"

Uhmmm was this the smartest move? Should you really say this about your main target audience?

Michel Gondry Upset by Comic-Con Audience

Michel Gondry offered some strongly-worried thoughts to the San Diego Comic-Con crowd that walked out on his Green Hornet panel in droves last July. His thoughts are detailed in a recent interview with The Guardian.

"I usually identify with the nerds," the director is reported as saying, "but these ones just reinforce the social rules. Their values are fascistic. All those people marching around in capes and masks and boots. The superhero imagery is totally fascist! When you step into this genre, they feel it belongs to them. They want you to conform, or they won't like you. They want the conventional."

Ironically, the quote comes out in the interview not long after the director states that, to avoid cynicism, he refuses to "mock things" and then goes on to say that he doesn't mind the reaction because the movie has performed very well with "normal people".

The Green Hornet hits theaters on January 14, 2011 in both 2D and 3D
    via SHH!
    I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Well, the seals the fact that I won't be seeing it. Way to put your foot in your mouth, dumb-ass!

Comment

It sounds to me that he's just a few minutes away from invoking Snacky's Law.

Comment

hahah I had to look that up. Never heard of it before.
        I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

We don´t dress as well as fascists.

Comment

More people will see this for being a seth rogan movie than comic book fans and also those that remember the tv show.

Many of the general public dont even know it is a comic book.

In some ways he is right, when ever theres an adaptation there gonna be that part of the fanbase that thinks it should be done exactly as it was in comics or in cartoon. IE: Geewunners for the transformers fanbase and even some of the guys on here that bashed the movie before seeing an ounce of footage.

Comic book fans seem to think that every movie should pander to their every whim or it will be a failure, when history is kind of showing the opposite.

Watchmen pandered heavily to the comic audience and was not as sucessful as it could have been where as something like the spidey movies took liberties with origins and some storytelling and were sucessful.

Comment

Which is all well and good but you could at least wait till after the film. Wait till they have spent their money and then criticize em. At least that way you already have their cash regardless of if they like you or not anymore. I'm not saying what he said doesnt have some truth to it but perhaps......Too Soon?

Comment

Meh, the main people that will see this movie will probably never hear this interview or even care in a week.

Some probably even share his opinion.

Comment

That's also most likely true as well.

Comment

I'm probably the only one here who thinks this, but I'm just tired of Seth Rogan. Any other leading man and I might be willing to give this movie a theatrical chance. As it currently stands though, it's either Netflix or Tivo off of Cable bound. Which is sad because I like the look of it, and love Gondry's other work, I just can't handle any more of the bumbling Dudeguy from Rogan.

Comment

Meh. I am indifferent to him. I never go to the theatre to see any of the manboy actors. I think their movies are funny but not 12 dollars for a ticket funny. That includes Rogan, Ferrell, Carrell, Rudd, etc.

Comment

MANBOY ACTORS!

That's just the word I was looking for!

Comment

That's what I have been calling them for a while now LOL. That's what they all remind me off in their films.

Comment

Hey, I like Paul Rudd! lol

Comment

I like him. Just no interest in dropping money at the theatre for most of his and/or their films. Netflix or interwebs all the way. Even cable will suffice.

Comment

Working...
                              X